Thursday, December 9, 2010

9 Lives

It's a good thing cats have 9 lives because our cat, Oliver, lost at least one of those lives last night. Holli was taking a bath and wanted her towel warmed up. I threw the towel in the dryer, set the heat to high and turned it on. About 5 minutes later Drew opened up the dryer and Oliver was in there! The poor guy was in really rough shape... throwing up blood, panting very hard and pupils unevenly dilated. I called the Emergency vet and explained what happened. Oliver was over heated and probably had a head injury. We took him outside to cool off and were instructed to just keep an eye on him. There's nothing the vet can do for a head injury but it is not unusual for a cat to completely recover from a head injury. The kids were so upset. We explained that he may not make it through the night. It was a very sleepless night for me. I didn't want the kids to wake up and find him so I kept waking up to see if he was okay. Much to our surprise and delight he seems okay this morning. He is moving really slow and has been quiet (he usually meows a lot in the morning because he wants to eat or go outside) but he is walking around and eating. His eyes look normal,too. The vet said things can change in the next 48 hours but I think he's going to be okay. I doubt he'll be napping in the dryer anymore and I will definitely look before closing the dryer door from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment